What Should You Look For In A Super Green Powder?
Green super foods are fast attracting more and more attention as people are embracing the health and Wellness wave sweeping communities. While there is a long way to go, it is encouraging to see a plethora of green super food supplements in health stores and also mainstream establishments like Aldi, Coles and Woolworths.
So, what makes a great blend of green super foods that one can have in a smoothie, knowing that it is doing them good!
Firstly, you need to understand that the most nutritious greens in the world that are packed with the highest protein of anything come from green algae and blue/green algae.
Therefore, you need to choose a green powder that includes greens from the sea and that will include Chlorella and Spirulina. Chlorella is a type of green algae (contains 52% protein) while Spirulina is a type of blue-green algae (contains 54% protein) that grows in both fresh and salt water.
However, it is not only about the protein (which is very important) but in the case of Chlorella it contains vitamins A & C, calcium, iron, dietary fibre, potassium, magnesium and sodium, so very high in minerals. Spirulina is very similar but also is rich in B vitamins and niacin too.
So, make sure that your greens powder contains at least one but hopefully both Chlorella and Spirulina as they are critical.
Secondly, we have our grasses, wheatgrass, barley grass, spelt grass and alfalfa sprout.
Let’s look at each of these in isolation:
- Wheatgrass – contains a whole bunch of goodies including chlorophyll (releases oxygen into the bloodstream), vitamins A,C,E, iron, magnesium, calcium and amino acids of which 8 of the 17 are considered to be essential, meaning that the body cannot produce them and must rely on getting them from food sources. It also contains anitoxidants including Glutathione. (Antioxidants are the compounds that fight free radicals preventing cell damage and oxidative stress)
- Barley Grass – One of the world’s oldest crops (dating back to 8500BC), Barley Grass is a natural source of organic sodium which is needed to produce hydrochloric acid in the stomach lining so we can digest our food. It is also rich in enzymes, is alkalizing and rich in essential vitamins and minerals. It is also an abundant source of chlorophyll. Barley grass can offer protection from radiation and cellular damage, thus regenerating damaged cells and tissues and is a powerful detoxifier. Additionally, it supports the immune system and is extremely high in vitamin C and amino acids.
- Spelt Grass – Another ancient grain, spelt grass is an excellent source of protein, dietary fibre, B vitamins and very high in minerals including calcium, iron, magnesium, manganese, phosphorus, potassium, sodium and zinc.
- Alfalfa Sprouts – Sprouts typically contain concentrated amounts of vitamins and minerals such as calcium, vitamin K and vitamin C, because they are harvested before they become the fully grown plant. Here are some benefits to having them in a super green powder:
- assist with healing of open wounds (vitamin K)
- build strong bones (vitamin K acts as a modifier of bone matrix problems)
- contributes to improved blood circulation due to the iron content
- nutritionally dense (the fibre content can inhibit the release of the hunger hormone ghrelin)
- Good source of B-vitamin complex such as folate
- Can fight cold sores via the amino acid lysine
- Omega 3 fatty acids
So, there you have it, four extremely potent greens in addition to Chlorella and Spirulina that should be in a super green powder.
At Akuna Wellness we are very fortunate to have a very powerful product called “Zing”!
In addition to the above plants it also contains, cinnamon, cardamom, vanilla bean, nettle leaf, dandelion leaf, coriander leaf, ginger root, marshmallow root, slipper elm bark, fennel seed and stevia leaf – all certified organic ingredients.
I would certainly recommend this one if you are after a super green powder that will also be a good detoxifier for you as well.
You can access it here: https://akunawellness.com.au/product/zing/
For more great health and wellness articles go to our Akuna Wellness website where you can also access the best natural and organic products on the planet: https://akunawellness.com.au/blog-home/