Why You Should Be Eating Beetroot
Beetroot is a “superfood vegie” that contains some very potent nutrients that are beneficial in so many ways to our body. From very early times (Middle Ages), Beetroot was used for many conditions and was especially prominent for treating illnesses relating to digestion and the blood.
Most people will eat the cooked beetroot in the tin, however, the most nutrient rich way to consume them is from the raw pressed juice, followed by eating raw beetroot (leaves as well as the beetroot itself).
The reason that the juice is best is because the nutrient compounds are 10 times more highly concentrated, delivering antioxidants, natural occurring nitrates, betaine and iron.
Beetroot resembles the colour of our blood and so it is no surprise that they are incredibly beneficial to a healthy bloodstream and according to the American Heart Association, “drinking a cup of beetroot juice may help lower blood pressure”. People who consumed this amount on a daily basis did experience an average 10-point decrease in their blood pressure levels over a 24 hour period.
Additionally, beetroot enables methylation to take place in our body. Methylation is so important as it enables many important biochemical processes and this includes the metabolism of lipids and DNA. DNA can prevent the production of harmful genes, for example; cancer genes. It is likely that as we age we lose the capacity to methylate our body, so therefore supplementation is potentially very beneficial.
Betaine works very closely with what we call “methyl donors” choline, vitamin B12, folic acid and an amino acid called methionine. The National Cancer Institute in the USA has recognized that methyl donors have been linked to decreased risk of breast, colon and pancreatic cancer. Therefore, a diet rich in these micronutrients can assist with avoiding cancer and many other health issues.
In the 1950’s a Hungarian doctor – Dr. Ferenczi found that drinking a quart of beet juice a day as part of the therapy for cancer patients, efficiently eradicated cancerous tumors in much the same way they dissolved kidney stones.troot juice (as mentioned), contains the powerful antioxidant Betalain and this boosts the immune system and acts as an anti-inflammatory, antifungal and detoxifier The specialty of betalains for our body is two-fold:
- Cleaning the bloodstream
- Assisting the liver to do its job more effectively.
Because we are exposed to a host of toxins in our environment on a daily basis, beet juice can help us to detoxify from harmful pollutants, heavy metals and chemicals in the air, the food chain and in water.
Below are 14 health benefits of taking beetroot juice:
- improve blood flow – beets are high in natural nitrates boosting blood flow to the brain and body. Nitric Oxide has the effect of “opening up” the blood vessels and will normalize blood flow. Because dietary nitrates are found in leafy greens as well, it is a good idea to juice the beet greens as well.
- Detoxify the liver – beets are high in betaine which supports a healthy liver function as well as eliminating toxins and reducing the amino acid homocysteine, that can cause damage to red blood cells,
- Treats menstrual disorders and menopause symptoms – Red Beets are very high in iron and when consumed will help the regeneration of red blood cells, causing strokes, blood clots, atherosclerosis and heart disease.
- Prevention and even treatment of cancer – studies demonstrate the juice has potent and detumour effects, protects cells and promotes the regeneration of new ones.
- Reduce blood pressure – 2 glasses of beet juice daily can significantly reduce your blood pressure
- Treat inflammation – Beets are high in antioxidants which boost immunity and fight inflammation
- Treat constipation – Beet juice treats digestive problems and improves the metabolism
- Treat iron deficiency and anaemia, since red beets are very high in iron which aids the regeneration of red blood cells
- Beneficial for Muscles – drinking the beetroot juice can boost the muscles strength and power. The nitrate content has been shown to boost athletic performance by allowing the body to recuperate, by increasing the amount of oxygen and blood flow to the muscles, heart and brain. So, beet juice has an energizing effect on the body, which is great not only for athletes, but for the average person wanting to do more regular exercise.
- Improve skin – Beets have anti-aging properties due to the high folate content that helps with wrinkles and other skin issues
- Improve mood and mental state – beets contain betain and tryptophane, which can relax the mind and treats depression
- Prevention of birth defects. Beets are rich in folate and folic acid which prevent birth defects. Moderate consumption of beet juice during pregnancy is recommended.
- Beets may help to beat colon cancer. The antioxidant betacyanin is one of the well known benefits of beet juice and helps give the beets their red color. Betacyanin acts as a primary cancer fighting agent shown to be successful at preventing colon cancers. Additionally, beetroot juice naturally increases the amount of CD8 cells present in the colon. These are known to protect against and destroy cancerous growths.
- Increases Glutathione & Lowers Cholesterol – meaning Glutathione assists the body to detoxify. Being a very powerful molecule, Glutathione binds with toxins and pollutants that enter via our bloodstream and are eliminated through the bowels. There is also a reduction in bad cholesterol (LDL) and an increase in good cholesterol (HDL)
So there you have it! 14 reasons to be consuming Beetroot for improved health and wellness.
As always, please do click through to our website Akuna Wellness and browse more valuable articles and products designed to build amazing health and wellness!
Sign up to our newsletter and receive 10% off all products forever!